HomeAbout UsHistory

150th Special Operations Wing History

Our mission is to provide ready Airmen across a wide spectrum of capabilities to protect state and federal communities.

We are a community oriented force of diverse combat ready Airmen who innovatively meet worldwide challenges.

Always ready... let's get after it!

Our History

The New Mexico Air National Guard was federally recognized on 7 July 1947 as the 188th Fighter Bomber Squadron. The unit was composed of a utility flight equipped with Douglas B-26 light bombers, a fighter squadron composed of 100 officers and airmen flying 25 P-51 mustangs and three T-6 Texan trainers, plus a small weather detachment. The 188th's mission was changed from fighter bomber to fighter-interceptor in 1948.

In December 1950, the unit was called to active duty for the Korean Conflict. A total of 54 officers and 400 airmen were assigned to Long Beach Municipal Airport, California. Most unit members were then absorbed by other Air Force units and dispatched to Japan and Korea. First Lieutenants Robert Lucas and Joseph Murray were killed while flying close air support missions in Korea. Captain Francis Williams and First Lieutenant Robert Sands were each credited with three MiG-15 kills. The unit was released from federal active duty in November 1952. In 1957, the unit was re-designated and federally recognized as the 150th Tactical Fighter Group. In October 1995, the unit was renamed the 150th Fighter Wing. Read full history.

History of the ANG

Resources