PRINT | E-MAIL
COLONEL CHRISTOPHER P. BACA
Colonel Christopher P. Baca is the Vice Commander for the 150th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland AFB, New Mexico. Colonel Christopher P. Baca previously was the Mission Support Group Commander for the 150th Special Operations Wing, New Mexico Air National Guard, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. His duties included directing and monitoring the support activities of the Force Support Squadron, Logistics Readiness Squadron, Security Forces Squadron, Communications Flight, Civil Engineering Flight and Base Contracting. His efforts ensure cohesive integration of functions and resources in force protection; readiness and deployments; civil engineering (CE); communications; morale, welfare, recreation, and services (MWRS); public affairs; personnel; information management; and manpower to support installation, Wing, and mission needs. Colonel Baca enlisted in the New Mexico Air National Guard as a Munitions Systems Specialist in 1990, then cross-trained in 1992 into the Aircraft Armament Systems career field. During this time he earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Architecture in 1997 from the University of New Mexico. Colonel Baca served a total of 10 years in the enlisted ranks before being selected for a commission in 2000 as a Civil Engineer officer. In his 10 years as a Civil Engineer (CE) officer, Colonel Baca had the opportunity to serve at every command level within the 150th CE Squadron. In 2010, Colonel Baca was hired into the Environmental Manager/Bioenvironmental Engineer position where he served until August 2014. In August 2014 Colonel Baca returned to the now 150th CE Flight as the Base Civil Engineer/Commander where he served until June 2017 when he was selected for his current assignment as the Mission Support Group Commander. Throughout his 29 years of service to the New Mexico Air National Guard, Colonel Baca has had the opportunity to serve the United States and the State of New Mexico on numerous operational and contingency deployments. The most noteworthy contingency deployments were Operation NORTHERN WATCH as an enlisted member of the 150th Aircraft Generation Squadron and Operation IRAQI FREEDOM as a CE officer.
1992 Certificate in Computer Aided Drafting, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, N.M.
1997 Bachelor of Arts in Architecture, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, N.M.
2000 Academy of Military Science, McGee-Tyson Air Guard Base, Tenn.
2001 Intro to Base Civil Engineer Organization for Reserve Forces, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2001 Reserve Forces Air Base Combat Engineering Course, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2007 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Radiation Safety Officer Course, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2012 Bioenvironmental Engineering Officer Course, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2012 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1990 - September 1990, trainee, Basic Military Training, 3707th BMTS, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1990 - November 1990, trainee, Munitions Systems Specialist, 3400th Technical Training Group, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
3. November 1990 - October 1992, Munitions Systems Specialist, 150th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
4. October 1992 - November 1992, trainee, Armament Systems Specialist, 3400th Technical Training Group, Lowry AFB, Colo.
5. November 1992 - January 2000, Armament Systems Specialist, 150th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. January 2000 - March 2000, trainee, Academy of Military Science, McGee-Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
7. March 2000 - June 2001, Engineering Flight Commander/Chief of Engineering, 150th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
8. June 2001 - June 2001, student, Base CE Org for Reserve Forces/Reserve Forces Air Base Combat Engineering Course, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
9. June 2001 - April 2010, Chief of Operations Flight Commander/Deputy Base Civil Engineer, 150th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
10. January 2006 - May 2006, Civil Engineer Officer, 506th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Kirkuk Air Base, Iraq
11. May 2009 - December 2009, interim, Civil Engineer Squadron Commander, 150th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
12. April 2010 - October 2012, interim, Public Health Flight Commander, 150th Medical Group, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
13. November 2011 - February 2012, detail, Deputy Base Civil Engineer, 150th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
14. March 2012 - May 2012, student, Bioenvironmental Engineering Officer Course, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. April 2010 - July 2014, Environmental Manager/Bioenvironmental Engineer, 150th Medical/Mission Support Group, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
16. July 2014 - June 2017, Base Civil Engineer/Commander, 150th Civil Engineer Flight, Mission Support Group, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
17. June 2017 - July 2018, Mission Support Group Commander, 150th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
18. July 2018 - Present, Vice Wing Commander, 150th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters National Defense Service
Medal with small bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraqi Campaign Medal with small bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal with small bronze star
Armed Forces Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short Tour
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service with six oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with bronze hour glass
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States, Member, 2000-Present
Leadership New Mexico, Local
Government Leadership Graduate, 2015
New Mexico National Guard Association, Executive Council, State Vice President, 2016 - 2019
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 3, 2000
First Lieutenant March 3, 2002
Captain March 16, 2004
Major June 11, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 13, 2014
Colonel Oct. 9, 2018
(Current as of July 2019)